Yes, that totally makes sense. I could see it as new feature in the "PLAY" section.
1. Pick a cover song B1 (Artist B covers Artist A)
2. Generate step #1 of the cover chain = A cover song C1 by artist C, covering artist B
- Choose preferrably a cover song with a tag that indicates relevancy: Unusual, More famous than original, Hit song, Uncrecognizable, Definitive, etc...
- If no cover song with tag available, pick the best rated cover song
- If no ratings, pick the most viewed
3. Then database asks whether you like/accept the suggestion:
- If yes: Generate step #2 of the cover chain = A cover song D1 by artist D
- If no: Generate alternative for step #1 = A cover song C2 by artist C
If you (and others) like it I could try to make a mock-up.