Frequently Asked Questions
Q: What is SecondHandSongs?
- A: SecondHandSongs is the largest and most accurate database of cover songs. Use it to find out who performed the original version of a particular song, or who else around the world covered that song. We try to be as complete and accurate as possible by also indexing the songwriters of the songs and the releases that feature these originals and covers. We order the data in a reusable and maintainable way and we're highly crossreferenced with other databases, among which Discogs, RateYourMusic, Echonest, Spotify, iTunes, ...
Q: How do you define originals and covers?
- A: Check out our introduction to the database.
Q: Why is song X not listed in your database?
- A: Millions of cover songs have been performed and released by artists worldwide and our database will never list all of them. Rather than focussing on quantity, we try to keep quality high by providing accurate and complete information. We do add new songs continuously, so don't hesitate to contact us if you know a song that's not listed.
Q: Why is song X by artist A listed as a cover, knowing this artist actually wrote the song?
Q: Why are a lot of track listings of albums incomplete?
- A: Because we only add songs to our database if they have been covered, or if they are a cover. It's not our purpose to create full discographies.
Q: Why is the order of songs on track listings incorrect?
- A: Because we do not try to reproduce the order of the original track listings; the songs are simply ordered alphabetically.
Q: How can I add songs to the database?
- A: You can post them on our forum. Please provide us with as much information as possible and name the sources where you got your information from. Also, please suggest only 1 cover per post. Respecting these guidelines can speed up processing a lot.
Q: Do you also accept covers in other languages than English?
- A: Of course. We add covers in any language. Check out our statistics page to get an idea.
Q: Why does it take forever until my suggestion has been processed?
- A: Since we started we have been literally flooded with cover song suggestions, which are still stacking up in our forum board. As we are a small team of volunteers, we're unable to keep up with submitted suggestions. We will however check and add all your submissions, which can currently take up to 5 years or longer. So please be patient or ... become an editor yourself!
Q: Where can I report errors and incomplete information?
- A: Please read our introduction to the database before reporting an error. In many cases mistakenly reported errors are based on misinterpretations.You can report errors on our forum. Please provide us with as much information as possible and name the sources where you got your information from. This can speed up processing a lot.
Q: Where can I find reliable sources of information?
- A: You can find some in our bookmarks list. Note that websites like wikipedia, answers.com, music.com, and many others are not to be trusted!If you prefer real books, check out out the reference books our editors use.
Q: Are your statistics reliable?
- A: No. As said before, given the enormous work ahead of us, our site is far from comprehensive and doesn't claim to be. Also, the entries are heavily biased by the preferences of the editors and our visitors.
Q: Why does the Mp3 player show random results on some pages?
- A: Not all of our songs are listed in the Amazon catalog. The playlist of the Mp3 player is automatically filled by Amazon, even when the songs are unrelated. This may produce random results on some pages.
Q: Are you selling any of the songs, singles or albums listed?
- A: No, we only provide information. However, you might find links to Amazon on some of these pages, and these will lead you to a page where you can buy them. By doing so you support SecondHandSongs.
Q: How do I add a cover of which the original is missing?
- A: Go to PARTICIPATE, and then ADD COVER. Choose the option "I can't find it in the database. It must be missing but I have information about it.".
Q: How can I add YouTube videos to songs?
- A: It's very easy. Have a look at the Tutorial.